sitemeter

Saturday, August 28, 2010

BOOKS

After spending time browsing more Lomography websites, I came up with a list of books that I think they may be useful for people who are interested in Lomography. Although these books share their similarities in discussing the topic of Lomo, there are more different aspects which seems to highlight the unpredictable journey into Lomography.

"Don't think just shoot" by LSI which is the first official publication on the phenomenon of Lomography.

Even though I’ve never read this book, the title is just a really valuable encouragement for people who are new and inexperienced lomographers. From my perspective, this book is a must have for those interested in becoming a Lomographer.

We Love Lomoby Lomo Taiwan Group.

One of my Taiwanese friends recommended me this book when I was in New Zealand. As you can see, this is a Chinese version, but I love the feel of this book. It represents the spirit of Lomography which is simple but meaningful.

"Plastic Cameras" by Michelle Bates.

It’s quite rare to find a book which provides great content as well as many useful tips and techniques in Lomography. Michelle Bates takes us to share her love of Lomo cameras throughout her experience. As she says, “truly great images come from the vision of the photographer, not from the equipment”.

"Toy Cameras: Culture and Celebration" by Chelsea Klukas.

No doubt about it, the colorful images with different effects attracted me to read this book. Chelsea Klukas doesn’t only describe her journey and love on Lomography in this book, she also gives different examples and interviews with members of the Toy Camera community.

As I read back over the former posting of our group, I am surprised that our topic of Lomography has grown to such interest. We started out with the culture and equipment of Lomography and subsequently focussed more on specific examples and expressions of personal feelings on Lomography.

I really do appreciate one of the rules of Lomography; “Lomography is not an interference in your life, but part of it”. These books can help to develop skills in anyone who is interested in Lomography, and also to learn and see life through diverse camera lenses. I know many people always compare plastic cameras with digital cameras, in fact, I think high priced digital cameras and cheaper valued plastic cameras both effectively deliver creativity at its best.

No comments:

Post a Comment